Ear Wax Removal
Independent Hearing Solutions offers an alternative and specialized ear wax removal service.
Are your ears causing you concern?
Are you prone to wax blockages?
Do you wear hearing aids?
Are you about to have a hearing test?
How do I know my ears have an ear wax blockage?
There are many symptoms which may indicate a wax build up in your ears. These may include:
- Sudden Hearing Loss
- Ringing in your ears (also known as tinnitus)
- A feeling of fullness in your ears
- Ear pain
- Discharge from the ear
Is ear wax normal?
Yes, it is completely normal. Ear wax production, (also known as cerumen) is a natural part of normal ear function – acting as a self-cleaning mechanism for your ears. Occasionally this mechanism can fail. If it does, may cause your ears to be blocked with war wax.
What factors might increase my risk of having a wax blockage?
- Being in an older age group
- You wear hearing aids
- Use of cotton buds and hairpins to clean your ear canal. I’m sure you have heard the saying to “never put anything smaller than your elbow in your ear!”
- Using of ear plugs and earphones
- Narrow, curvy and/or hairy ear canals
- Your ears naturally produce a large amount of ear wax that you ear canal can’t remove
- Dirty and dusty work environments
- You have previous ear surgery.
If you are having any issues with blocked ears, come and see our team of health professionals who will safely, gently and quickly help to unblock your ears by removing your ear wax build up or foreign body from your ear canal.
How long does it take?
The procedure may take up to 20 minutes to complete, depending on the amount of ear wax that needs to be removed.
If the wax is difficult to remove, we may recommend the use of waxol (or similar) for a few nights to help soften the wax.
How much does it cost?
Medicare does not cover this procedure, however a rebate may be claimed from some private health funds. Give your health fund a call to see if you are covered (there is no item number for this procedure).
Our flat Fee is $75 for both of your ears to be cleaned and checked. If we cannot remove all the wax, an appointment will be made for 2-3 days later. You will not be charged for this additional appointment.
We will also offer you a complimentary hearing screening after each appointment to check your hearing.
Please give us a call on 1300 415 718 to book your appointment.